Sunday, January 31, 2010

OXYMORON

The title of this blog is in fact the exact opposite of how I live my life.

In fact I want perfection, I strive to acquire perfection the exact way the world does.

I want status- the new car, new skills, the PhD, the perfect family, the white-gated house, the dog.
I want to be beautiful- the best skin care, facials, a hair stylist, to be skinny.
I want possessions- the new laptop, camera , phone, bags, clothes.
I want popularity - the friends, the 'bffs', the social crowd.

But in fact, the title of my blog isn't exactly accurate.

The Bible does talk about aiming for perfection.


Paul describes it in his letter to the Corinthians.

"Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you. 2 Cor 13:11"

The equation seems right. God want me to aim for perfection = I want perfection.

Unfortunately, being a sinful human being, the perfection I want isn't what God wants us to strive for.

I strive to be perfect by obeying social, cultural and government laws.

The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God. Heb 7:18

If we cannot have perfection through obeying the law, what better hope is there?

Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; 24but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
26
Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. 27Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. 28For the law appoints as high priests men who are weak; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever. Heb 7:23-29

And thus, because we have a perfect high priest who offered Himself for us, we will one day truly attain perfection.

And to end this serious post, is a picture of me with chocolate frappe in an Alice cup! Ahhh happy days.

1 comment:

domo said...

I know the feeling serene :)

Hopefully God in his mercy will teach us both how to seek after his kingdom and not be selfish... but still let us enjoy some of his good gifts in this world!