The Malaysian general elections are coming up.
For the first time in my 21 years, I'm actually paying attention to what's happening in my country.
My first memory of elections was back in Tawau, where I saw blue flags with white scales hanging from every electric pole in the city.
I remember at 12 or 13, how I idolised Dr Mahathir and how he was the 'good guy'. In contrast, the main opposition team leader in Sabah at that time was an 'evil' villian trying to buy over votes by giving the bumiputera land.
I remember seeing that same opposition leader shaking hands with people in the market and I refused to go over to shake his hand because to me he was 'evil'.
I'm the first to say that I don't know anything about Malaysian politics.
I get my news from the Malaysian papers. And we know how reliable the Malaysian papers are especially during the elections.
I know that the opposition can hardly expect to get any airtime on our local papers so they have to resort to other options to get information out.
I know that these local paper said that nearly all 2004 promises were carried out.
I remember how the prime minister ran for the 2004 elections with promises of reducing corruption.
How about claims that postal votes are being manipulated?
And the BERSIH rally for electoral reforms.( And how the rally was brushed aside and misreported by local media).
How about what our BN representatives have said?
" If you cannot fight rape, better lay down and enjoy it."
" Malaysia is an Islamic state. If you don't like it, get out of Malaysia.
We have so much more to worry about than sex scandals and have ministers.
We are allowing our own leaders to DEGRADE us.
Our current deputy prime minister
" Revoke the citzenship of those who oppose the Malay leaders.May 13 has begun and soak it ( the keris) with Malaysian Chinese blood."
UMNO is unsinkable.
Undilah Barisan National.
Orang Malaysia untuk Malaysia. ( Malaysians for Malaysia)
Tetapi adakah Malaysia untuk orang Malaysia? (But is Malaysia for Malaysians?)
No comments:
Post a Comment