Greg's talk last night from 1 John was really helpful.
He spoke about what really makes a christian 'Christian'.
My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
And also
And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
The idea that Christ died for the WHOLE world's sins but not everyone will have Him as an advocate was new to me.
All objective facts.
So regardless of how I feel, of how 'unchristian' I feel I am, the objective facts is that Christ died for my sins and He is now deflecting God's wrath for me.
But how do we know that we are in Christ?
Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
No new commandment but a new way of fulfilling the old testament law.
Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning. Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
I write to you, little children,
Because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake.
I write to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
Because you have overcome the wicked one.
I write to you, little children,
Because you have known the Father.
1 John 2: 1-14 ( All in italics are the verses)
A challenge to keep reevaluating the way we live life.
A challenge to keep in mind the objective facts.
A challenge to obey the old commandment but in a new light.
A challenge to keep going, not dragging feet way but strong and certain way.
All challenges.
That are worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment